SCALLOPS WITH ASPARAGUS & CHOY SUM
( SERVES 4 )
|3 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|¼||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tsp||White sugar|
|1 to taste||Salt and pepper|
|3 Tbsp||Fresh mint, chopped|
- To make the vinaigrette, pour vinegar into a medium-size bowl.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil. When incorporated, whisk in seasonings and sugar. Stir in the mint.
- To cook the vegetables, first trim asparagus, breaking off tough ends. Cut spears into 5mm long pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add bacon and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add asparagus and choy sum and stir-fry until crisp-tender and bright green. Remove to a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. To cook the scallops, first dry them with a paper towel.
- Season all over. Heat remaining oil in the pan. Add butter and when sizzling add scallops.
- Cook gently until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Turn over and cook another 1-2 minutes, until just cooked.
- Place asparagus mixture on two or four plates.
- Top with scallops and drizzle with a little more vinaigrette. Season.