( SERVES 12 )
Make your own fortune cookies for a bit of fun – writing interesting fortunes specifically for your friends and family.
|2||Eggs, whites only|
|0.58||Vanilla essence/extract, 1/8 tsp is all that is required|
|¼ cup||Flour, sifted|
- Preheat the oven to 200 degC
- Write the fortunes on to small strips of paper.
- Beat the vanilla and egg white until it is foamy, but not stiff.
- Mix in the flour, salt and sugar. Grease two baking trays.
- Spoon the batter one teaspoon full at a time, at least 10cm apart on one of the greased trays.
- Move the batter into 7cm round shapes by tilting the sheet. Make sure it is as even and as round as possible.
- Avoid making too many because the cookie is only pliable when it is warm.
- Start out with a few (2 or 3 to a tray) and go from there.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cookie has turned golden about 1cm on the circle’s outer edge while the middle remains pale.
- While this sheet is baking, prepare the other sheet.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and quickly move it with a wide spatula and place upside down on a wooden board.
- Place the fortune note on the cookie, towards the middle.
- Then fold the cookie in half. You’ll need to move quickly as you don’t want the cookie to cool.
- Place the folded edge across the rim of a cup and pull the pointed edges down, one on the inside of the cup and one on the outside.