Sweet and sour red cabbage
We don’t tend to cook red cabbage any more, opting to use it in coleslaw and salads for colour, yet cooked slowly it is delicious.
- Soak the shredded cabbage in a bowl of cold water for 15 minutes.
- elt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pot or saucepan, and gently fry the onion until it is soft.
- Take the cabbage from the water, leaving it dripping slightly, and add it to the pot with the remaining ingredients.
- Stir to combine, then cover and simmer very gently for 1½ hours.
- Check frequently so it doesn’t dry out, and if it does, add a little boiling water. Serve hot.
Tip: You also get added nutrition from the anthocyanins – phytochemicals also found in blueberries. This dish does take a while, but it is well worth the wait, and goes beautifully with roast meat or game.