Caramel meringue tart
( SERVES 6 )
Finish the night off on a sweet note. You can make the tart in advance, then do the meringue topping just before serving, so you have more time to enjoy the party.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Use the sheets of pastry to line a 23cm fluted loose-bottom tart tin or similar. Chill until required.
- In a large jug, whisk together condensed milk, cream, vanilla, golden syrup and egg yolks.
- In a small bowl, mix cornflour and water to a paste, then whisk into the condensed milk. Pour the mixture into the pastry lined tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden around the edges and just set in the centre. Remove from the oven.
- Beat the egg whites using an electric beater until foamy and white, then gradually add caster sugar, beating until thick and glossy.
- Spoon onto the caramel tart and bake for a further 8-10 minutes until puffed and the meringue is toasted.
- To serve, combine toasted nuts and golden syrup and warm for 1 minute. Spoon glaze over the tart slices.