( SERVES 10 )
- Warm the water and milk, then whisk in the sugar and yeast. Allow to rest for 10 minutes while the yeast starts to activate.
- Stir in the flour and salt and mix well to form a dough. Cover and leave to prove until double in size (allow about an hour).
- Mix baking soda with warm water and fold through the yeast dough to form the crumpet batter. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat up the flat plate on the barbecue or a large frying pan until hot, place metal rings down, then brush a little canola oil around the rings and on the bottom, spoon the crumpet batter into the rings, approx 1½ cm deep.
- Cook until bubbles begin to form on the top of the crumpets, remove the rings then carefully flip over and cook for 30 seconds.
- Keep in a warm oven until all crumpets are cooked, or serve them straight up. Drizzle with runny honey, maple or golden syrup and knobs of salted butter.