Peter's favourite chocolate and star anise mousse cake
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Thinkstock
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm spring-bottomed cake tin with greaseproof paper and pre-heat oven to 180 degC.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Separate the six eggs and whisk the egg yolks with the star anise and 2 tablespoons of the sugar for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and butter mixture and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar until very stiff.
- Quickly fold one-third of the whites into the chocolate mix, then gently fold in the remainder and pour the mix into the cake tin.
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cover the tin with foil, sealing well to keep the heat in so the steam can soften the crust.
- Once it's cold put in the fridge and leave for at least four hours before giving into temptation.
- Serve with poached tamarillo and a dollop of whipped cream or creme fraiche.
*Star anise is a spice with an aniseed aroma and licorice flavour. If you cannot find it ground, grind the whole stars (seed and pod) in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.