Portobello mushroom and smoky bacon soup
Nothing beats a hearty winter soup – and this one packs a real punch. We have finished ours off with a drizzle of truffle oil to enhance that forest-floor flavour, but you can also use olive oil or garlic-infused avocado oil if you wish.
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|3 pieces||Smokey bacon, chopped|
|1 tsp||Thyme leaves, fresh|
|350 g||Mushrooms, field or flat, chopped|
|2||Potatoes, large 1.5cm diced|
|1 Ltr||Chicken stock, or vegetable|
|¼ cup||Creme fraiche, or sour cream|
|1 Tbsp||Chives, snipped|
|1 Tbsp||Truffle oil, or 2tbsp, or olive oil|
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the garlic, diced onion, thyme and bacon for 4-5 minutes over a medium heat until the onion is soft and bacon coloured.
- Add the mushrooms, potatoes and stock, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth with a stick blender or food processor.
- Return to the saucepan and heat to serve.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche, and a few snipped chives.