Spiced Eggplant & Peanut Salad
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Sophie Barclay
The pungent spices with the sweet eggplant and peanuts make this a fabulous accompaniment to BBQ lamb.
|1 tsp||Coriander seeds, toasted|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds, toasted|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 Tbsp||Curry powder|
|1 tsp||Chilli flakes|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|2||Eggplants, medium sized, cut in 2cm cubes|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 cup||Fresh coriander, fresh, roughly chopped with a few leaves set aside for garnish|
|2 handfuls||Baby spinach, washed|
|125 g||Unsalted peanuts, roasted, roughly chopped|
|1 cup||Salad dressing, Yoghurt style, more if needed.|
- Preheat oven to 200 degC.
- With a mortar and pestle, crush together the toasted seeds, smoked paprika, curry powder, chili flakes, ground cumin and salt.
- Tip into a large bowl. Add the crushed garlic, oil and the eggplant pieces. Mix well to coat.
- Place the seasoned eggplant on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast for approximately 30 minutes, turning once.
- Roast until tender and beginning to brown.
- Allow to cool. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad: on a large platter layer half of the spiced eggplant, spinach leaves, a drizzle of yoghurt dressing, fresh coriander leaves and some peanuts.
- Repeat the sequence with the remaining ingredients and finish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Finally, add a good squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of the remaining dressing.