Venison Ragu with gnocchi
( SERVES 4 )
Lean, farm-raised venison simmered on a low heat to allow the flavours to develop
- Crush the garlic, dice the carrots, celery and onion.
- Blanch the tomatoes briefly. Peel and halve. Squeeze out and discard the seeds, then dice the flesh.
- Heat a little oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Saute the onion until softened.
- Add the garlic, carrots and celery and saute for 2 minutes. Place aside.
- Heat a little more oil. Pan-fry the venison until lightly coloured. Return the veges to the pan.
- Stir in the herbs, seasonings and tomato paste until well combined. Slowly add the stock and milk.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 1 hour, stirring gently once or twice.
- Serve with gnocchi and a crisp salad.