Photo by Jason Burgess
The accepted wisdom on making this is three parts oil to one part vinegar (or citrus juice). I tend to amp up the oil proportion a bit because, while I love sharp tastes, I prefer that the flavour of the oil take precedence.
This is an unnatural marriage. Oil and vinegar do not mix but can be combined in a temporary "emulsion"by whisking or shaking together. It will separate out later but can be reshaken.
- Take three parts oil. (Your choice. Remember olive oils all have their own particular flavour.)
- Add 1 part of vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 tsp of grain mustard for every cup of liquid.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar for every cup of liquid.
- Shake well in a screw top jar.
- Shake well again before using.