Plum trifle with Stolen rum and lemon curd
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Kieran Scott
Here is a recipe for a dish that I promise tastes just as good as it looks — just like great wine drunk from a tumbler, perhaps make this dessert in an old coffee mug, and use that other trick we chefs have up our sleeve... the element of surprise. Feel free to use store-bought sponge fingers and lemon curd if you wish.
Poached plums & lemon curd
|250 g||Brown sugar|
|1 kg||Plums, use fresh dark plums, stoned and quartered|
|4||Lemons, zested and juiced|
|1 pinch||Flaky sea salt|
|75 g||Unsalted butter, diced and chilled|
|6 Tbsp||Rum, I used Stolen Gold|
|1 cup||Cream, whipped|
|1 block||Dark chocolate|
|4||Gingernuts, smashed in a teatowel with a rolling pin|
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a simmer.
- Add prepared plums and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until almost tender, but holding their shape.
- Pour into a large dish to cool quickly.
One-pot lemon curd
- In a medium saucepan, off the heat, combine the sugar and egg yolks. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk ½ cup water and cornflour until smooth, add this to the egg mix.
- Add the lemon zest, juice and salt. Place over a medium heat and stir constantly until it begins to thicken and bubble like Rotorua.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the butter. Place in a piping bag and allow to cool.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper, preheat oven to 180C.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until very light and fluffy (about 10 minutes). Transfer to a large clean bowl.
- Sift in the flour and gently fold in until almost combined. Fold in the butter.
- Pour mix carefully into the lined cake tin and bake for 15-25 minutes, or until a knife comes out cleanly.
- Turn out on a cake rack and allow to cool completely. Cut into rounds or desired shape.
- Place poached plums into the bottom of 4-6 glasses.
- Pipe on the lemon curd.
- Soak your sponge rounds in a mix of ½ cup of the reserved plum syrup and 6 Tbsp of Stolen Gold Rum.
- Once the sponge has absorbed the liquid, place the sponge on top of the curd.
- Follow with 2 or 3 good dollops of freshly whipped cream. Spoon over a little of the leftover rum and plum syrup (be generous if you want a good kick of rum).
- Sprinkle copiously with crushed gingernuts, shaved dark chocolate and some lime zest.