Balinese black rice pudding
( SERVES 4 )
Black rice pudding is served for breakfast in Bali on special occasions and also at one of my favourite restaurants in Kuta, Poppies, a popular spot since the 70s.
If there's any black rice left over I blend it with some vanilla ice-cream and serve it with tropical fruit as an evening dessert.
|½ cup||Rice, black glutinous|
|¼ cup||Rice, white glutinous|
|2||Pandan leaves, optional, I use frozen leaves|
|1||Vanilla bean, split lengthwise|
|½ cup||Palm sugar, syrup|
- Soak the rice in water overnight.
- Place the rice and water in a large saucepan. Add the pandan, vanilla and cinnamon and enough extra water to cover the rice by 10cm.
- Heat until boiling and then reduce heat and simmer gently until the rice is soft and water absorbed, approximately 40 minutes.
- Stir in the salt and palm sugar syrup.
- To serve, spoon into bowls and top with coconut milk, sliced fresh fruit and sprinkle with toasted coconut.