Coronation chicken with simple rice salad
( SERVES 6 )
|1||Chicken, size 16|
|1 dash||White wine|
|1||Bouquet garni, (bay leaf, thyme and parsley)|
|3 Tbsp||Cream, lightly whipped|
|3 tsp||Curry powder|
|1 tsp||Tomato puree|
|2 Tbsp||Apricots, pureed|
|1 pinch||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|100 ml||Red wine|
|1||Lemon, zested and juiced|
|1 Tbsp||Grapeseed oil|
- Put the chicken into a large saucepan and cover with water. Add the other ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 45 minutes, remove from the heat and leave the chicken to cool in the liquid.
- Once cool, carve the chicken into large pieces, carefully removing the skin and bones, which can be returned to the liquid. Simmer this for up to 3 hours to make stock for another use.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan and add the onion, cooking gently until soft. Add the curry powder and cook until golden (1-2 minutes). Add the tomato purée, wine, water and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, then add the sugar, salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes or until it is thick.
- Strain and cool. Add this little by little to the mayonnaise with the puréed apricots. Season to taste, adding more salt and lemon juice if necessary.
- Finally, fold in the whipped cream.
- Toss all ingredients carefully to mix well. To serve, coat the chicken with the mayonnaise, tossing carefully so the chicken does not break up too much.
- Arrange on a serving platter, with the rice salad alongside