Apple pies with a hint of tamarillo
( SERVES 4 )
These cheats' apple pies are made in two parts. All the cooking can be done in advance, then the pies assembled when you're ready to serve.
APPLE PIES WITH A HINT OF TAMARILLO
- Heat the oven to 200C. Cut 4 circles (use an apple-shaped cutter if you have one) from the pastry sheets.
- Place the circles on a baking tray and prick all over with a fork. Brush the circles with egg white and dust with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the apple and tamarillo in a saucepan with the water and the second measure of sugar and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add more sugar if desired. Spoon the hot fruit into small bowls or ramekins and top with a circle of pastry. Serve hot.