Green soup with gruyere spinach scones
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|4 cloves||Garlic, sliced|
|1||Leek, white part sliced|
|3 cups||Vegetable stock, light|
|1 head||Broccoli, separated into small florets|
|6 handfuls||Spinach leaves, washed (or one standard bag)|
|4 Tbsp||Creme fraiche|
- Heat oil in large pot. Add onion, garlic and leek and stir for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Add broccoli and simmer for another 10 minutes before adding spinach to wilt. Turn off heat.
- Puree ladles of the vegetables, adding enough of the stock to make a smooth soup.
- Season and serve with the warm scones and a dollop of creme fraiche.
- Preheat oven 220C. In a bowl, mix butter into the flour and salt with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Slowly add milk until mix holds together. Tip on to a floured surface and gently knead for a short while.
- Roll dough out to approximately 5mm thick. Lay spinach and gruyere on top then carefully roll dough to form a log.
- Cut scones into rounds and place on a greased oven tray. Brush with egg wash and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.