Roast chicken with cranberry and bacon stuffing
( SERVES 6 )
If serving a crowd, this recipe is easily doubled.
|1||Orange, zest and juice|
|1 cup||Dried cranberries|
|1 cup||Sourdough bread, cut into small chunks|
|2 slices||Bacon, choose thick slices, cut into a small dice|
|1 to taste||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1||Chicken, whole, size 16 or 18|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|7 sprigs||Fresh thyme, chopped|
|8 slices||Streaky bacon|
|2 cups||Chicken stock|
- To make the stuffing, soak the cranberries,orange juice and zest in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, then gently fry the onion until soft and starting to colour.
- Add the bacon and continue frying, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat, then add the bread chunks, cranberry mixture, black pepper, thyme and the remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Cool – this is important. Never put warm stuffing into a cold bird.
- Dry the chicken inside and out and stuff the cavity with the cooled stuffing.
- Tie the legs together to stop the stuffing oozing out. Rub the skin with oil, then spread the bacon slices over the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and roast in a preheated oven for about 75 minutes (or less if the chicken is not organic), basting occasionally until the skin is brown and the bacon crisp.
- Remove the chicken from the dish, cover with foil and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a light gravy by deglazing the pan with the stock.
- Allow it to bubble up and simmer very slowly for 10 minutes.
- Carve the chicken into 8 pieces.