Chicken with balsamic tomatoes, oregano and pine nuts
Photo by Tamara West
This is an easy meal that you can put together in 15 minutes. Serve with potatoes, couscous or other carbohydrate of your choice, and green beans, asparagus or a salad.
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan (use an oven-proof fry pan if possible) and brown chicken for 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to hot oven and cook for 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside to rest.
- Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan (you can use the same one the chicken was cooked in) and add garlic, chilli, lemon zest and pine nuts. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and fry 1-2 minutes until the skins are blistered.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice, balsamic, oregano and any juices from the cooked chicken. Toss together.
- Divide chicken between plates and spoon tomatoes over the top.
Balsamic creme is a thick, sweet balsamic vinegar. You can find it at all gourmet food stores and some supermarkets. If you can’t get it, make a substitute by boiling ½ cup ordinary balsamic vinegar with 1½ Tbsp brown sugar in a small pot for 4-5 minutes until thick and syrupy. Allow to cool before using.