Sliced beef with mushrooms
( SERVES 4 )
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel and trim the stems if necessary. Slice thinly, place in a bowl and drizzle the lemon juice of half a lemon over the top. Trim the spring onions and finely slice the white parts and a little of the green. Add to the mushrooms and toss.
- Trim the steaks of any fat. Heat the pure olive oil in a heavy frying pan until it just begins to smoke. Add the steaks and cook until rare or medium-rare but, ideally, no more, seasoning as you turn them. Remove, allow to cool for five minutes, cut into 5cm-wide strips with the grain, then slice thinly against the grain. Add to the mushrooms.
- Drizzle the extra-virgin olive oil over the top, saving a little to use on the green salad, then toss well to mix.
- Stand until it reaches room temperature, but don't refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, toss the pine nuts in a dry frying pan until lightly coloured. When ready to serve, season the beef and mushrooms to taste with the sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Arrange the salad greens on individual plates or in a communal bowl, drizzle with the reserved olive oil, then spoon the beef and mushrooms on top. Top with scattered pine nuts.