Broad bean and mint risoni with crispy bacon and pinenuts
( SERVES 4 )
Broadbeans, mint and parmesan are a classic, delicious combination served on bruschetta, however they make a tasty little pasta dish too, thinned with a bit of cooking water from the pasta.
- Pour boiling water over broad beans. Stand for one minute then drain and allow to cool before popping their dull skins to reveal the bright green beans.
- While you are shelling the broad beans, cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente.
- Cook shelled broad beans in boiling salted water for 1-2 minutes, then drain.
- Set aside half of the broad beans whole, and mash the other half of the broad beans with the garlic and lemon juice.
- Heat a little olive oil in a fry pan and fry bacon and pinenuts until bacon is crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon out ½ cup of the pasta cooking water and reserve, before draining the pasta.
- Tip drained pasta back into the pot with the reserved cooking water, mashed broad beans, whole broad beans, parmesan, mint and olive oil.
- Toss together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Divide between bowls and sprinkle over crispy bacon and pine nuts.