Tender Yeast Pastry
( SERVES 4 )
- Put the yeast into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar and warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Beat in approximately half the flour, followed by the very soft butter and the egg.
- Beat until smooth, then mix in the remaining flour and the salt. If using an electric beater, continue to beat for 1 minute.
- If using your hand, turn the pastry out onto a bench and knead for 1 minute.
- Put the pastry back into the bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and leave for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- If you do not plan to use the pastry for several hours or until the next day, put it into the refrigerator.
- When ready to use, roll out medium thinly and shape and fill as required. Bake at 200 degC for 15-20 minutes.
A roll-up makes a wonderful picnic dish. Baked just before you set off, it is easy to transport in one piece and when you arrive at your favourite picnic pozzie it can be cut into thick slices and eaten in the hand. Chances are it will still be warm. It is also delicious made without ham, while retaining the onion and cheese. If you cook the onion and make the pastry the night before, it is very quick to finish off in the morning.