Veal shank and borlotti bean soup
( SERVES 4 )
- Place the shanks in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- While the shanks are cooking, peel and chop the carrots, cut the celery into small pieces, and peel and chop the potatoes and onion. Peel and crush the garlic and add to the shanks with the vegetables.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and stir into the saucepan. Drain the beans and rinse under cold running water.
- Add to the saucepan and simmer for 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the shanks, pull the meat off the bones, chop it into smaller pieces and return it to the soup.
- Pick the leaves from the parsley stalks and chop finely, stir into the soup and season with salt and pepper. Serve in warm bowls.