( SERVES 4 )
These chicken legs are based on Maggie Beer’s recipe, quail in a verjuice bath. It’s perfect finger food and you could also use chicken wings. Verjuice is a lightly acidic juice made from unripe green grapes. It should be in all specialty delis and some supermarkets; a good one, thevineco, is produced in Hawke’s Bay.
- Pat the chicken dry, and rub with salt, pepper and the herbs.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy-based frying pan, and when hot, add the drumsticks.
- Lower the heat so the chicken is just singing quietly in the pan. Turn frequently so it becomes golden brown and cooks through.This should take about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the drumsticks.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining oil with the verjuice, adding extra salt and pepper. Tip into a shallow serving bowl and when the chicken is cooked, add the drumsticks and grapes(cut in half and seeds removed), turning over so the chicken can absorb the dressing.
- Cool a little and serve either at room temperature or warm with a lemon wedge or two.