Bread, baba ganoush and taramasalata
( SERVES 4 )
Both these dips hail from the Meditarranean. Baba ganoush is an eggplant dip and taramasalata is a fish roe dip.
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1||Salt, to taste|
- Grill or barbecue the eggplants until the skin has blackened. Place in a sealed paper bag or a bowl covered with plastic wrap and let steam so the skin is easier to peel.
- When cool, peel the skin and squeeze the juice out of each eggplant. Place the eggplant in a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk until soft.
- Remove the skin from the roe and discard.
- Place the soaked breadcrumbs into a food processor with the roe, garlic, onion, egg yolk, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Pulse until combined but not entirely smooth, for a bit of texture. Season to taste.
Serve with a selection of sliced warmed breads, a dish of olives and a dish of best quality olive oil