Roasted tomato chutney
It's a little time consuming but it has to be one of the best tomato chutneys you will ever make. Unctuous and dark, it goes well with everything.
- Soak the mustard seeds overnight in the malt vinegar.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and roast them in the olive oil for up to three hours in a medium oven. Use several baking dishes to do this or roast in batches. The tomatoes lose a lot of water and that creates steam and stops the roasting process. The tomatoes should end up dark and almost dry.
- Blend all the other ingredients and simmer slowly for an hour.
- Add the tomatoes and their roasting oil and cook for two more hours, adding more oil if required.
- This will result in a thick, hot condiment with a very rustic texture. If you feel it is too "textured" you can pulse the chutney in a blender to smooth it out.