Pipi and mussel fritters with pickled cucumber
Photo by Babiche Martens
Makes 12 small fritters
|1 Tbsp||Caster sugar|
|2 Tbsp||White wine vinegar|
|1 tsp||Fish sauce|
- To pickle the cucumber, trim the ends from both cucumbers. Using a peeler, peel the cucumber into strips.
- Put the sugar, vinegar, star anise, fish sauce and chilli into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and stir to combine the ingredients. Pour the pickling liquid over the cucumber and leave to cool.
- To make the fritters, briefly cook the pipis and mussels in simmering water, until the shells have just opened.
- Remove from the shells and let cool. Chop the shellfish. Finely dice the shallot and add the parsley, seasoning and flour.
- Separate the eggs and whisk in the yolks. Whisk the whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold into the fritter mix.
- Heat a fry pan and add 1 Tbsp olive oil with 1 Tbsp butter.
- When hot, add spoonfuls of the fritter mixture and cook for a minute or two on each side, depending on the size of the fritters.
- To serve, top with slices of cucumber removed from the pickling liquid, wedges of lemon and a sprinkle of salt.