Passionfruit meringue tart
( SERVES 8 )
Inspired by Lemon Meringue Pie.
|2 Tbsp||Custard powder|
|1 cup||Passionfruit syrup|
|¼ cup||Lemon juice|
|1 sheet||Sweet short pastry|
- Filling: Blend cornflour, sugar, custard powder, passion fruit syrup and lemon juice in a saucepan until smooth.
- Add water. Cook over a medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Beat in egg yolks and butter.
- Topping: Beat egg whites until stiff. Slowly beat in sugar until thick and glossy. Stir in vanilla.
- Line the base and sides of an 11 x 30cm tart tin with pastry, cutting pastry to fit tin.
- Bake blind at 190 degrees C for 20 minutes.
- Remove baking blind material and bake a further five minutes. Allow to cool.
- Spread filling over pastry. Cover filling with topping and bake a further five to 10 minutes or until golden.