Rhubarb syrup rolls
|1 Tbsp||Yeast granules|
|¼ cup||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Iodised salt|
|2 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|3 Tbsp||Custard powder|
- Mix sugar, tepid water and yeast together in a small bowl. Leave for 10 minutes, until frothy. Heat milk, brown sugar, butter and salt together until butter just melts. Leave to cool. Add milk mixture to yeast mixture. Sift in one cup of flour. Stir and cover. Place in a warm area until dough bubbles.
- Beat egg and mix into dough with remaining flour. Combine well. Turn out on to a lightly floured board and knead until the dough is smooth, elastic and springs back when pushed. Place in a greased bowl and turn dough over. Cover and leave in a warm area until it has doubled in bulk. Roll dough out to a 60cm x 35cm rectangle.
- Drain stewed rhubarb and reserve syrup. Spread rhubarb over dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and custard powder on top. Roll up as for a Swiss roll - from the long side. Cut into 4cm pieces. Place in a greased roasting dish or large baking dish. Cover and leave for 15 minutes in a warm place. Brush buns with melted butter.
- Bake at 190 degrees C for 15 to 20 minutes. Pour syrup mixture over buns. Serve while still warm.
To prepare the syrup:
- Heat reserved rhubarb syrup, sugar and cinnamon together.