Peppers stuffed with chicken and burghul
( SERVES 4 )
- Place burghul in a bowl and cover well with boiling water.
- Leave to soak for 10 minutes, then drain thoroughly and cool.
- Heat a saucepan, add a little oil and the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured. Set aside to cool.
- Remove skins from sausages and place sausage meat in a large bowl.
- Add cold burghul and onion mixture. Add herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 180degC. Slice peppers in half lengthways then remove central seeds and white membranes.
- Place pepper halves in an oiled oven pan and fill each half with some sausage mixture.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake, uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes or until peppers are golden brown and tender and sausage meat is cooked.
Tip: Burghul (sometimes called bulgur) is made from whole wheat that has been boiled, cracked and then dried. It can be purchased ground to either a fine or coarse texture.