Smoked fish toasts
Photo by Rachel Hale-McKenna
If you need a nutritious and filling snack or simply a light dinner, these fish toasts are the perfect solution. Serve with a side salad if you want a more traditional meal.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute then remove from heat and pour in half the milk. Stir until smooth.
- Add remaining milk and beat until there are no lumps. Return to heat and stir until the mixture is really thick.
- Remove from heat and fold in grated cheese, mustard powder, 3 Tbsp of the chopped parsley, flaked smoked fish and egg yolk.
- Toast the bread on one side. Pile a couple of tablespoons of the fish mixture on to the untoasted sides and place under the grill for 2 minutes until golden and puffed up.
- Sprinkle over remaining 1 Tbsp chopped parsley and serve immediately.