Chicken with mushrooms in madeira sauce
Madeira sauce is a rich peppery sauce which can be made with oadeira wine, marsala or dry sherry. It is a great compliment to chicken.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, then add chicken, onion slices and garlic cloves. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, then turn chicken over and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in white wine and let it reduce by half. Stir in madeira and simmer for a couple of minutes. Add cream and simmer for a few more minutes, until heated through and thickened slightly. Turn off the heat and leave to rest for a couple of minutes.
- Heat butter in a small pan and cook mushrooms for 2 minutes.
- Take chicken out of the pan and slice.
- Reheat sauce, remove garlic and spoon sauce onto warm plates. Place chicken and mushrooms on top. Serve with potatoes and greens.