Steamed pork buns
Buns can also be filled with vegetarian filling such as chopped cooked eggplant.
For the bun
- Place the yeast in a bowl with the water and leave to sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Place the flour and icing sugar in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast mixture and the vegetable oil and mix until dough forms a ball.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Sit it in a warm spot for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
For the filling
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and cook the pork until golden. Add the onion and cook over a gentle heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the sauces and continue to cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes. Mix the cornflour with the water and add to the mixture. Bring to the boil and cook for a few minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the dough into 16 and roll each into a round disc of around 6cm diameter. Place a spoonful of pork mixture in the centre and draw the dough up around to enclose the filling.
- Sit buns in a single layer on a small piece of baking paper within a bamboo steam basket.
- Steam buns in batches over a saucepan of rapidly boiling water for 10 minutes. Make sure that the steam basket has a fitted lid and if not then cover tightly with foil. Serve warm