Joan's peanut slice
( SERVES 20 )
This recipe comes from the kitchen of an excellent Gisborne cook. Chopping the nuts is optional.
|1 Tbsp||Golden syrup|
|1 cup||Peanuts, whole raw|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
|1 cup||Rice bubbles|
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- Line a 30 x 25 x 5cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Melt the first three ingredients gently in a large pot.
- Add the flour, peanuts, baking powder and rice bubbles. Place in slice tin and press down.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the slice so it doesn’t over-colour on top.
- To make icing, heat the butter in a pot, add the golden syrup, then icing sugar and blend well. Ice while hot and cut into squares before it cools.
- Store in the freezer. You do not need to defrost this slice to enjoy it.
- Store in a chilly bin while you’re at your picnic.
Cook's tips: Heat your tablespoon by immersing in hot/boiling water then measure the golden syrup for easy use and clean-up. Vary the nuts with pistachios or walnuts. Don’t discard crumbs from the tray – soften vanilla ice cream and stir through the broken pieces for your own amazing ice cream creation.