Caramel slice with hazelnut meringue
( MAKES 20 PIECES )
A new twist on an old family favourite.
Lightly salted caramel
|1 can||Sweetened condensed milk, (395g)|
|¼ cup||Soft brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Golden syrup|
|1 tsp||Vanilla paste, or extract|
|1½ Tbsp||Plain flour|
|1 pinch||Flaky sea salt|
- Heat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a slice tin with baking paper (about 30cm x 20cm).
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder together and mix into the creamed mixture. Press into the prepared tin. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the tin.
- Reduce oven temperature to 160C.
- Meanwhile, make the lightly salted caramel. In a medium-sized heavy based saucepan place the condensed milk, brown sugar, golden syrup butter, egg yolks, vanilla paste or extract and sieve over the flour. Place over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved and butter melted. Remove from heat and stir in the salt. Set aside to cool, before spooning over the shortcake.
- Make the meringue, beat the egg whites and sugar together until stiff. Dollop mixture over the top of the lightly salted caramel then carefully spread to cover. Lightly press the hazelnut pieces into the meringue and sprinkle with the cinnamon. Place in the oven and baking for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Leave to cool before slicing into squares. Store in an airtight container for 3 days if it lasts that long!
See more of Kathy's baking recipes