Persimmon and date cake
|1 cup||Pitted dates, halved|
|½ cup||Boiling water|
|½ cup||Canola oil|
|2 tsp||Vanilla essence|
|1½ cups||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|2||Persimmons, peeled and grated|
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Lightly oil a round 20cm-21cm loose-based cake pan.
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Cool completely.
- Place the oil, vanilla essence and eggs in a bowl and beat until well combined. Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the oil mixture then add the sugar. Beat well.
- Peel and grate the persimmons. Add to the flour and oil mixture with the cooled dates and water. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping by mixing the coconut, sugar and egg well. Dot evenly over baked cake and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until golden.
See more of Jan's fruity bakes: