White chocolate semifreddo with raspberries and pistachios
( SERVES 8 )
This fabulous party dessert will keep for 3-4 weeks in a tightly covered container in the freezer, so you can make it well ahead to take the stress out of entertaining. Fresh raspberries are harvested up in Maungatapere right through until July, but if you can’t find them, use freeze-dried berries or other fresh fruit to garnish this luscious dessert.
|250 g||White chocolate, broken into pieces|
|4 large||Egg whites|
|¼ cup||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 punnet||Raspberries, or 1 cup freeze-dried raspberries|
- Line the base and sides of a 6-8 cup loaf pan with baking paper, leaving an overhang on either side so the frozen mixture can be easily lifted from the container.
- Place white chocolate and cream in a pot and warm gently until the chocolate has softened (1-2 minutes). Stir to fully melt chocolate then remove from heat and cool.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl using a very clean electric beater and gradually adding sugar until stiff peaks form when the beater is lifted from the bowl.
- Add fully cooled chocolate mixture, vanilla and lemon juice to beaten egg whites and fold gently until evenly incorporated. Gently fold in the fresh or freeze-fried raspberries.
- Pour into prepared tin, smooth the top, fold in the baking paper edges to cover and freeze until solid (at least 6 hours).
- Serve garnished with berries and chopped pistachios.
See more of Annabel's traditional solstice feast recipes: