Lemon chicken soup
( SERVES 6 )
If the lemon has thick skin then discard the pith. Use the rind (finely grated) and the flesh (chopped).
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy saucepan. Sauté the seasoned chicken in batches until the skin is golden-brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Sauté the onion and garlic on medium-low until softened but not brown. Add the potatoes, lemon and fennel seeds. Stir well.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the stock. Season. Simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the chicken is falling off the bones.
- Remove the chicken and cool a little. Discard the skin and bones. Shred the chicken and return to the saucepan. Simmer on low for another 10 minutes. Add chopped parsley, if preferred.
- Great served topped with thinly sliced lemon and yoghurt or sour cream sprinkled with and sumac.
See more of Jan's soup recipes