Lamb short loin with green beans in chilli bean sauce
( SERVES 4 )
For the beans I use a chilli bean sauce (Toban Djan) by Lee Kum Kee made from a blend of chilli and fermented broad beans. This Sichuan-style chilli sauce is considered to be the tastiest of the lot.
Keep some on hand as this Chinese condiment can add a flavour boost to a raft of dishes. Have enough olive oil to rub the lamb with.
- Steam the green beans until bite-tender (still with a little crunch).
- Place the oil in a small saucepan over very low heat. Add the chilli bean sauce and heat, stirring for about 1 minute (this will deepen the flavour of the sauce). Place the beans in a bowl and drizzle over the sauce.
- Heat a large frying pan or barbecue hot plate over medium-high heat. Rub the lamb short loin with oliveoil. Place in the pan or on the plate and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan or barbecue hot plate to a warmed plate, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, then cover loosely with foil and a clean tea towel. Leave the lamb to rest for 10 minutes.
- To serve – slice the lamb across the grain and scatter over the fresh thyme.
See another of Kathy's dinner recipes