( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
Have some shaved parmesan curls for serving.
- Skin the tomatoes by removing the cores, then cutting a cross in the opposte end of the tomato.
- Place in boiling water for a minute or until the skin curls away from the pulp. Remove and plunge into a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process.
- When cool enough to handle remove the skin, cut the tomato in half and remove the seeds, dry the flesh and roughly chop.
- Add the tomatoes to a bowl and combine with the capers, gherkins, shallots, tomato pesto, sauces and mustard.
- Mix to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mixture in a seive and drain for an hour to allow the excess liquid to drain off.
- To serve, spoon some of the tomato mixture onto a plate and spread flat. Repeat on all plates.
- Cut the mozzerella into six and place a piece on each plate atop the tomato tartare.
- Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over each and top with a sprig of basil and shaved parmesan curls.
See Simon's recipe for his yellow tomato bloody mary