Whole cauliflower with puy lentils
( SERVES 6 )
This makes a great vegetarian main or a side dish for meats.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Trim the major leaves from the cauli. Remove any thick stalk from the base and trim it so the cauli sits flat. Place in a large microwave-proof bowl with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan suitable for the hob and oven. Add the mustard seeds and heat over medium until they start to pop. Add the shallots and cook until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme and cook for a few minutes. Add the tomato paste and wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the spinach stirring until wilted.
- Mix in the lentils. Season. Make a well in the centre and add the cauli. Pour the stock around the cauli. Cover and cook for about 50 minutes until the cauli and lentils are cooked.
- Brush the cauli with the remaining oil. Great served sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese, ground paprika and chopped fresh herbs. Serves 6-8.
More Christmas recipes from Jan