Festive bread and butter pudding
- Preheat your oven to 175C.
- Cover the prunes with the brandy and warm slightly in the microwave. Leave to stand.
- Place the milk, cream, cherries, oranges and cinnamon in a large pot. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat immediately.
- Cut the panettone into 1cm slices and line the bottom of 6 individual or 1 large ovenproof serving dish.
- In a large round-bottomed bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar, pour a small amount of the hot milk on to the egg and sugar, and stir to combine. Repeat again and finish by whisking in the rest.
- Drain off any excess brandy from the prunes and add to the custard.
- Spoon out the fruits from the custard, distribute them and the prunes evenly across the panettone and pour over enough custard to cover. Arrange the remaining panettone on top.
- Spoon over as much of the custard as you can possibly fit, making sure to saturate the panettone as much as possible.
- Finish by sprinkling the chopped nuts on the top and place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes (or 30 to 40 minutes for a large one) until edges start to set but middle is still soft.
- Serve warm with vanilla bean icecream and a glass of dessert wine.