Berry walnut shortbread
( SERVES 6 )
This recipe is from my new cookbook The Good From Scratch Kids Cookbook that has all my favourite recipes to cook for my daughters, and ones that they like making themselves. The recipes all stem from my “Good From Scratch” philosophy; there is nothing better than a meal where you know what the ingredients are. The recipes are healthy, quick to prepare and delicious. This shortbread is a great one to make ahead of time as you can put some in the freezer. The natural sweetness from the berries means less refined sugar — pop a square in lunchboxes or whip out a plate for smoko.
- Heat the oven to 180C on Bake. Line the base of a square 20cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Combine the flour, icing sugar, lemon, vanilla and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles crumbs.
- Press about two thirds of the shortbread mixture into the tin. Be sure to press firmly.
- Scatter the berries across the shortbread, followed by the remaining shortbread mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting into pieces.