Mini pavlovas with date cream and fruit
( MAKES 8 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Mini pavlovas are great for when you are entertaining as you can place them in the oven and forget about them. Here they are topped with date puree folded through lightly whipped cream and are finished with small wedges of kiwifruit and mango. These individual desserts would be perfect after my roast pork with limes and garlic that is served with braised fennel.
- Preheat oven to 150C. Line baking tray with paper and draw on 8 x 8cm circles.
- Beat egg white in a clean bowl until it forms soft peaks. Slowly add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until it has all gone.
- Spoon mixture on to the circles with a spoon. Place in the oven for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and leave pavlovas in to cool completely — overnight is a good idea.
- Place the dates, cinnamon, ginger, honey and water in a small pot. Bring to a simmer for 8 minutes, stirring until mushy. Cool completely.
- When ready to serve (or 30 minutes before) whip cream to soft peaks. Fold through the date puree. Spoon on to the mini pavlovas. Top with fresh fruit.