( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Tam West
This recipe forms part of the August 18 meal planner created in partnership with New World. It makes enough to feed a crowd (8-10 people) or serve 4 and freeze half for another time.
|1||Red capsicum, chopped|
|5 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|1 small knob||Ginger, chopped|
|1 small knob||Turmeric root, chopped|
|1 bunch||Coriander, stems and roots, chopped|
|1||Green chilli, up to 3 to taste, chopped (add extra chilli iif you like things really hot)|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|2 tsp||Sea salt flakes|
|¼ cup||Olive oil, plus 1 Tbsp for frying|
|1 kg||Beef mince|
|2 Tbsp||Curry powder, up to 2 Tbsp, to taste|
|400 g||Canned tomatoes, crushed|
|1 cup||Tomato paste|
- Blitz onion, capsicum, garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, chilli, lemon, salt and ¼ cup of the olive oil to a wet paste.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and sear beef mince over a high heat to brown all over, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go. Add curry powder and paste mix and cook into the beef until well combined.
- Blitz the carrot, courgette and tomatoes to a smooth puree. Add to beef mix, along with bay leaves, 1 cup of the beer (add the rest as you go, if needed), and the tomato pasta sauce and simmer 45 minutes, stirring often, until liquid has reduced. Season with salt, cover and rest 15 minutes before serving as a bowl of chilli, on rice, topped with sour cream, chopped avocado, pickled onion and pickled jalapenos and lots of chopped coriander.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO SERVE CHILLI MINCE
- Make chilli dogs with grilled or boiled frankfurters in toasted hotdog buns with a lick of mustard, pile on the chilli mince, top with grated cheese, pickled onion, coriander and a squirt of sriracha or hot sauce.
- Pile corn chips into a roasting dish, layer on spoonfuls of chilli mince, a can of drained black beans and dollops of sour cream. Top with grated cheese and pickled jalapenos and bake until golden. Serve your nachos topped with guacamole and coriander.
- Toss hot chilli mince with a can of drained black beans, chopped coriander and grated cheese and spread into tortillas with cooked rice and sour cream for easy burritos.
This recipe forms part of the August 18 meal planner created in partnership with New World.