Strawberry sponge cake
( SERVES 6 )
Enjoy this strawberry sponge cake with Dilmah Holy Basil, Ginger, Lemon & Lemongrass infusion. With its gentle burst of citrus and soft savoury herbal notes, it’s like springtime in spice island.
For another afternoon tea treat, try our meringue tarts with tea-soaked prunes.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Line a 38cm by 25cm shallow ovenproof tray with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes or until very thick and pale.
- Carefully fold in the zest and flour.
- Pour on to the tray. Place in the oven and bake 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Turn on to a clean surface and cut into 2 x 15cm by 12cm rectangles.
- Spread the jam over one of the pieces of sponge. Place the sliced strawberries on top in an even layer. Spread the cream over the strawberries. Place the other piece of sponge on top. Smooth the sides of the filling with a knife. Dust the top cake layer well with icing sugar.
- Serve by cutting in half lengthways then slicing each half.