Pork burgers with smoked chipotle slaw
( MAKES 4 )
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
Let the kids get stuck in and help make this easy family meal.
|500 g||Pork mince, NZ|
|1 Tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|1 bunch||Basil, or coriander, thinly sliced (a small bunch)|
|1 tsp||Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Moroccan seasoning|
|4||Burger buns, split and buttered|
For the smoked chipotle slaw
- In a mixing bowl, combine pork mince, egg, Dijon mustard, basil or coriander, salt, pepper and Moroccan seasoning; mix well.
- Divide into 4 equal pieces and shape into 4 large patties.
- Rest in the fridge until you are ready to cook.
- For the smoked chipotle slaw, combine in a medium mixing bowl, the chopped parsley, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco and mayonnaise; mix well.
- Remove the dry or damaged leaves from the cabbage, slice thinly and combine with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Cook the patties in a non-stick pan on medium heat for 3-4 minutes then flip and cook the other side for a further 3-4 minutes until cooked through (alternatively you can brown patties in the pan and then finish off cooking in the oven — you could also cook them on the barbecue for 5-10 minutes each, until cooked through).
- While the patties are cooking, toast the buns in the oven or outside on the barbecue.
- To construct the burger, place a small amount of slaw on the toasted bun along with a slice of tomato and top with a patty and more slaw, then top with the other half of the toasted bun.
Another of Simon's easy family meals