Fried chicken bao
( SERVES 6 )
This recipe makes a great family meal. The homemade steamed bao buns are filled with crispy fried chicken thigh pieces and quick pickles. You can skip making the bao yourself if you wish to make things quicker. We use Kungfood brand from the frozen aisle and just steam them according to packet instructions. But the kids do enjoy making them and it makes a fun school holiday activity.
For the bao buns
|1 tsp||Dried instant yeast|
|1 cup||Warm water|
|3 cups||Plain flour|
|2 Tbsp||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|⅓ cup||Vegetable oil|
|¼ cup||Rice wine vinegar|
For the fried chicken
|1 kg||Boneless chicken thigh, skinless, cut into large pieces|
|2 Tbsp||Unflavoured natural yoghurt|
|50 g||Plain flour|
|50 g||Potato flour, or plain flour|
|40 g||Corn flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 Ltr||Canola oil, for frying|
For the pickles
- For the bao buns: In a bowl mix the yeast with the salt and warm water. Stand the bowl in a warm place until the mixture is frothy, about 10 minutes.
- In another bowl mix flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the liquid yeast mixture to the flour. Then add 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the rice wine vinegar. Mix with a spatula until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough on to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until the dough feels smooth.
- Allow the dough to rest in a greased bowl in a warm place covered for an hour until it doubles in size.
- Take the dough out and, on a floured surface, divide it into 14 portions. Place portions on a lined baking tray and then one-by-one remove each one. Roll each into a triangle, brush with oil and, using an oiled chopstick, fold each triangle over it in half. Carefully remove chopstick. Put folded bao back on the tray. Place it somewhere warm to allow bao to double in size again.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Line a large steamer basket with baking paper, place 6-8 bao in the basket at a time and steam for 8-10 minutes until they are puffed up and cooked. Keep cooked bao warm and continue until the rest are all steamed.
- To serve, prise open bao, slather each with mayonnaise (add some sriracha for the adults) and add fried chicken and pickles (see below).
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken: In a bowl toss the chicken with the yoghurt.
- In another bowl mix the flour, paprika, salt, potato flour, cornflour and baking powder together.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer, if you have one, or a large saucepan.
- Once the oil is hot toss chicken pieces into the flour mixture, coat well and then deep fry for about 10 minutes until crispy. You might have to fry the chicken in two batches. Watch that the oil doesn’t get too hot or the chicken will burn.
- Serve with pickles: In a saucepan warm the water and add the sugar, vinegar and salt. Once the sugar is dissolved, take the saucepan off the heat and add the cucumber, carrot and radishes. Cover with a lid and set aside for 30 minutes or until you are ready to assemble.