( MAKES 2 loaves )
Photo by Tam West
Warming spices make gingerbread ideal for this time of year. Ensure your ground ginger is nice and fresh.
- Heat the oven to 170C. Grease and line the base of two 20cm x 10cm x 5cm-deep loaf tins.
- Place the butter, golden syrup, sugar and marmalade in a saucepan and place over low heat. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine the eggs and milk and lightly whisk. Sift together the self-raising flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Mix in the wholemeal flour.
- Pour the cooled butter mixture and egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix to a smooth batter, being careful not to over-mix.
- Divide mixture between the two loaf tins and place in the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from tins to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
More of Kathy's loaves