Chocolate and custard easter muffins
( MAKES 10 )
These muffins require longer cooking than normal because of the custard centres.
|2 cups||Self raising flour|
|2 Tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|1 tsp||Ground mixed spice|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|100 g||Butter, melted|
|1 large||Egg, lightly beaten|
|¼ cup||Thick custard, use up to 1/3 cup|
For the topping
- Heat the oven to 190C. Line 10 muffin holes with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, mixed spice and baking soda into a bowl. Stir in the caster sugar.
- Whisk the butter, buttermilk and egg in a bowl to combine. Stir into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Half fill the paper cases with the mixture. Make a hollow in the middle of each and place a teaspoon of custard in the centre. Top with the remaining muffin mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Pipe the tops with the buttercream icing and place an Easter egg on top.
More of Jan's Easter recipes