Lamb cutlets with carrot and beetroot salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
For the dressing
|1 clove||Garlic, (new season's), crushed|
|1||Orange, finely grated zest and juice|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
|½ tsp||Smoked paprika, (I used sweet)|
|4 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Lemon, for squeezing|
For the salad and lamb
- For the dressing, place the garlic, orange zest and juice, ground cumin, smoked paprika and oil in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Heat the oven to 190C.
- Cut away the smallest leaves of each beetroot and reserve. Place the beets in a single layer in a roasting dish, drizzle with a little oil and season with salt. Pour in 1 cup cold water. Cover the dish tightly with foil and place in the oven. Roast beets for 45 minutes or until the point of a small sharp knife slips easily into each beet.
- Toss the carrots in a little oil and season with salt. Place in a shallow roasting dish lined with baking paper. Place in the oven with the beets and roast for about 30 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with half of the dressing.
- Rub the skins off the roasted beets and cut into pieces while they are still warm. Place beets in a bowl and drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Layer beets and carrots along with their dressing in a shallow serving bowl with the small beet leaves.
- For the lamb, rub cutlets with a little oil. Heat a large frying pan or barbecue hot plate until medium-hot. Place in the cutlets and fry or barbecue for 4-5 minutes, turning once. Remove and season.