Zaletti Christmas biscuits
( MAKES 40 )
Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
These little biscuits are lovely served with a glass of bubbly as you open your presents on Christmas morning, or after lunch with coffee.
- Preheat oven to 170C fanbake. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Soak currants or sultanas in brandy or rum for 30 minutes. Beat together butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time and then vanilla.
- Combine cornmeal, flour and baking powder and add to wet mix with soaked fruit, zest and nuts. Mix to form a soft dough. To test, take a little of the dough in your hand and squeeze into a ball. If it won't hold its shape, add a little more butter to soften the mix.
- Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper to 1cm thickness. Remove top sheet and cut dough into star shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Place on trays and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Cool before storing in an airtight container for up to a week.
More Christmas baking from Annabel